Huercal Overa is the result of the union of two medieval settlements: Huercal and Overa. The town sits between two branches of the Almanzora River. It is the chief town of a thriving agricultural district, largely dependent for its prosperity on the lead mining in the surrounding highlands.
Huercal Overa is a market town with much of the town centre being taken over by the market every Monday morning. The town has very good facilities with a variety of hotels, restaurants, a modern hospital, a municipal swimming pool and leisure centre. Huercal Overa is well served by the motorway network being 1km away from the main North-South coastal motorway.
The religious architecture of the town is impressive. Take time to see the Parish Church de Nuestra Senora de le Asuncion, founded in 1505, the Parish Church de la Asuncion de la Virgen built in 1748 and the Chapel of Jesus Nazareno founded in 1749 which contains a magnificent statue of Jesus of Nazareno carved in the same year by Francisco Salzillo.
A procession is held in the Easter week through Huercal Overva to celebrate the Passion of Christ. Here groups of statues are carried on floats by figures in white, brown or black robes. This spectacle has been declared a National Tourist Attraction.
Other buildings of interest include a bell tower dating from the Middle Ages, that looms over the houses of Huercal Overa. The old Posito (Granary) and the Via Crucis which leads to the Hermitage del Calvario.
Some years ago, new pine plantations were started close to Huercal Overa. These are now relatively mature, and have created the first forest in the area for 500 years. Most of the trees are almond, olive and citrus. Further forests are planned to bring much needed lush greenery to the area.